Borrowed from Pampelmoose (who borrowed it from somewhere else).
The following quote is from film director Jim Jarmusch.
"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and your theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable: originality is non-existent. And don't bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: 'It's not where you take things from - it's where you take them to."
but which is preferable: authenticity or sincerity?
ReplyDeleteyou can't have both... there's a rule or something
I think it's a great quote, and i've always loved that Godard line, but i really don't think it's about authenticity at all. It's the right sentiment but the wrong word. For me, at least. Sincerity does fit better. Or honesty.
ReplyDeleteEither way, the essence of what Jarmusch says, which is really about the fact that 'originality' doesn't exist per se is spot on. There's a great line by Paul Rand that goes: "Don't try to be original, just try to be good. If you're original, you're original."
I've struggled against this within art education for a long time and it is one of the greatest forms of resistance for students/artists. I use the Paul Rand quote all the time :)
(from Facebook)
ReplyDeleteTim Footman likes this.
Lloyd Barrett
I think he says that in the extras documentary on "The Limits Of Control" DVD - which I watched last week and recommend.
16 February at 14:48 ·
Everett True
Oh really? I must find that. Incidentally, I disagree with him. I think neither authenticity nor originality exist - that they are, in fact, the same term. The only criteria that applies to either is peer approval.
16 February at 14:54 ·
Lloyd Barrett
I think originality and authenticity are lazy nouns.
16 February at 15:08 ·
Steve Dillon
I want to be an individual just like everybody else!
16 February at 18:39 ·
Edward Guglielmino
I think authenticism does exist. Not in anyway that it can be intellectualized . Its esoteric, like love is, but probably even less definable in language. The first time I saw the Saints I knew the experience was authentic. Yes we don't all love the same things, the same way we don't all agree if something is authentic. The experience of something being authentic does exist, but you have to be looking for it, and only some art has any chance of providing the experience. Just like some people are incapable of true love, many artists will never achieve authenticism probably because they are trying to. The same way that if you try to fall in love....
16 February at 18:50 ·
Steve Dillon
Its actually more an ethical issue and the ethics are relative to the community that values the expressiveness of the art.
16 February at 18:59 ·
Edward Guglielmino
Sex, Drugs & Rock and Roll. Fuck I miss that course. Can't you develop a BA in SDR?
16 February at 19:02 ·
Edward Guglielmino
SDRR
16 February at 19:03 ·
Edward Guglielmino
BCI SDRR
16 February at 19:03 ·
Steve Dillon
LOL its always fun. You could do an MA or PhD on it! I think Lawrence and I want to do the book too.
16 February at 19:57 ·
Phil Graham
Once you can fake authenticity, you've got it made
Wed at 18:04 ·
Edward Guglielmino
Wolfmother
Wed at 18:05 ·
Everett True
Plenty of folk fake authenticity already, Indeed most rock bands (not just Wolfmother) base their careers on it
Wed at 18:14 ·
Yes! Amazing! Basically, he is telling us to rework it :) http://fashionableearth.org/blog/2010/02/24/rework-it/
ReplyDeleteThis works for me: http://bit.ly/auth_v_org
ReplyDelete